Friday, November 28, 2014

The 1950s car mugs that never were by Fifties Co. LTD

 
In the mid 1980s, Fifties Co. LTD, a Japanese toy company, produced sturdy tin friction toy cars recalling those made in the 1950s and 1960s.  They were marketed in the United States and must have sold very well.  Even now, you can always find at least a few for sale on ebay.  In 1984, I sent the company some designs for ceramic mugs incorporating the front ends of 1950s cars.  They responded with interest, sent me the above pictures, and I eventually met with representatives of the company when they were in Los Angeles.
They took this picture of me with my 1969 Toronado in the parking lot of their hotel.

For over a year I imagined myself becoming rich designing novelty items like these (I ran several other humorous ideas past them). The did do a test run of the mugs but apparently there was not enough interest at the trade fairs to actually produce them.  They did, however, send me these samples and I've kept them ever since.



No comments: