Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Expo 86 -- Vancouver Part 3

Every world's fair has its midway, and Expo 86 was no exception.  This splashdown variation on the old parachute jump ride featured these rather charming space capsules that seemed more 1966 than 1986.


At the top of the splashdown ride.

You've probably noticed by now that whole fair was designed in a typically bold, bright 1980s palette -- and apparently I felt obligated to dress to match.  Those cartoon-like yellow pants were a Christmas gift from my mother, and I wore that Members Only jacket all the time.
One of the more memorable exhibits was Japan's impressive HSST Mag-lev trains.   It was a short ride. I remember the controls manned by the ladies were remarkably simple.  There was a lever and not much else.
 


 These shots were taken from a ferry which took us to the Canadian pavilion, located off the main site.
Here you can see the covered stadium.  I remember walking by as we were leaving one night and hearing Joan Rivers' voice booming out of it.
The General Motors Pavilion did not feature the grand sort of ride through space and time as was in the 1964 New York World's Fair, but it did feature an entertaining "Spirit Lodge" movie, which I very nearly worked on.  I can't remember why I didn't.


 One of the few buildings to remain is the Canadian Pavilion, which is now used as a convention center.


No comments: