Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Retro Slides -- London, October 1987

Do you have a big box of a few thousand slides in your closet?  I did.  It took them so long to organize and scan them, I decided I'd include some of them here.  Most of them were taken in from 1987 - 1991 when I visited and later moved to Europe for the first time.  In the coming weeks I'll share some of my better shots.  I'll start with my very first trip to London.  At the time I could have never guessed I would move there just two years later, and again in 2007.
 Hydraulic cylinder, Tower Bridge.  I loved Tower Bridge but have only been there this one time.
One of the twin walkways at the top of Tower Bridge.  St. Paul's is seen in the distance.
I only included this terrible shot, as seen from Tower Bridge, to illustrate how much the financial district of London has changed since 1987. The tallest building is Tower 42, originally the NatWest tower, completed in 1980. At 47 stories, it was the tallest building in the UK until 1990.  It is still the tallest cantilevered building in the world.
 You'll find yourself looking up a lot in St. Paul's Cathedral.  This was our tour guide.
It's well worth getting a crick in your neck.
 And of course you must try out the acoustics in the whispering gallery in St. Paul's.
 Spiral stair into one of the towers at St. Paul's.
At the time, this was as close as you could get to Buckingham Palace.  When I lived in London again in 2007, I took a tour inside.
 The Elgin Marbles still reside in the  British Museum, one of the greatest museums on earth.
The Victoria and Albert Museum not only has a wonderful exhibits, they house them in splendid exhibit spaces like this. 
Yes, it rained much of the time during my first visit to London, but for me it wasn't at all disappointing except for the dim light, which made picture taking difficult for a novice like me.  I always imagined that Big Ben's chimes would be deafening, but that's not so.  The constant street noise gives them plenty of competition.
A view of the beautiful and spectacular pagoda at Kew Gardens.  It was raining and the heather was in bloom.  I loved Kew Gardens so much I later moved directly across the street from it during my first stint working in London from 1989-1991.

No comments: