Friday, December 21, 2012

Louisville, KY movie ads on December 10, 1957

All that's left of the Ohio is its facade and marquee.  Likewise, only part of the Uptown exists and is now a restaurant.  The Rialto, one of Louisville's largest and most impressive movie palaces, was torn down soon after playing the 1967 Rex Harrison musical, Doctor Dolittle.  The Crescent, always known as a neighborhood art theater, has long been converted into a restaurant.  The Westend and Cozy are long gone.  The Brown became a legit theatre many years ago, and continues as such to this day.
Neighborhood theaters, all gone.
The Mary Anderson was one of the older theaters in downtown Louisville.  Part of an office building, it was gutted long ago.  The Kentucky still exists, though gutted and repurposed.  The drive-ins are all gone.  
The Lowe's & United Artists was an unusual corporate sharing of one theater when it was built in 1928. John Eberson, famed for his atmospheric theaters, designed it.  In the early 1960s, the balcony was converted into the Penthouse while the downstairs became the United Artists, eventually inheriting the Rialto's Cinerama screen, which they touted as D-150, though neither movie shot in the process -- Patton nor The Bible...in the Beginning played there.  It is now known as The Louisville Palace and has been completely restored.

Memorial Auditorium, a handsome Greek revival-style venue, still exists.  Who knew that Paulette Goddard toured in The Waltz of the Toreadors?  In 1958, Melvyn Douglas took it back to Broadway with Betty Field.  Perhaps Paulette had had enough.

No comments: