Saturday, November 10, 2012

Tifton, GA modern motel



On the way to St. Petersburg, FL from Louisville, KY in July, 1970, my father took this shot of us at a modernist motel in Tifton, GA, just off I-75.  My mother felt she could rely on Holiday Inn for cleanliness and cost, so that's probably what this was.  I have no memory of it at all.  Note the Poloroid case lying on the ground.
A little sleuthing on the internet turned up these shots taken forty years later of the same motel on the Modern Phoenix site, looking a little forlorn but surprisingly unaltered.  I was able to find it on Google maps.  The address is 1008 8th St. W, Tifton, GA 31794, and was most recently a Budget Inn, but it appears to be closed.

6 comments:

walterworld said...

Very interesting!

On Google maps you can see the area where you and your family must have been standing in the pic.

Would be cool if you could make it back to duplicate the shot.

Thanks!

hmcdude said...

You should post this on Panaramio on the exact spot where the pic was taken.

hmcdude said...

You should post this on Panoramio at the exact spot where the pic was taken.

robby said...

I think this was a Davis Brothers motel

robby said...

I think this was a Davis Brothers motel. Remember one north of atlanta on I-85

Anonymous said...

This motel isn't standing any longer. It was recently demolished to make room for Publix.