Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Ideas for 1957

While the Better Homes and Gardens editors were tirelessly creative, it seems to me 1957 was a particularly good year for imagining how future space colonies might decorate for Christmas.
Many artificial Christmas designs were suggested. Some were rather traditional, but of course the modern ones are what really caught my eye. Strap yourselves in, because we're going to Mars.
If you think this one belongs in the Jetsons' Space Pad Apartments, you can have a very similar one right now in this rather regressive, provincial era, without having to go to the trouble of making it.
"Mom, can't we have a normal aluminum tree? No other kids I know have a tree made out of YARN!"
One can imagine this delicate paper parasol tree fluttered and tore every time someone opened the front door.
Nothing says Christmas like a three-dimensional cubist/futurist tree!
This one is handy for placing presents in the tree instead of under it.
This particular edition had these charming illustrations scattered throughout. Unfortunately there was no credit given for the artist.



I've been searching for a vintage modern nativity set but have never found anything I've liked. Someday, when I have the sort of patience the article warns one must have, I might even attempt it. I include the plans for those of you who are already patient and proficient with X-Acto knives and glue.



No comments: