Tuesday, July 20, 2010

1950 Nash Rambler convertible


Ramblers were economical and practical. Every Nash had reclining seats, a tradition which started in the 1930s when motels were hard to come by in long motoring trips. The bench seat folded all the way back to the rear seat. Of course one did run the risk of accidentally hitting the horn with one's foot, which could prove quite embarrassing at the drive-in movie.



Here I am with my brother circa 1964 with our 1957 Rambler Super. We only used the fold down seats a few times as I recall. It had vacuum wipers that slowed down the faster you drove, so at an idle they flipped back and forth like crazy. I wonder how many accidents that caused. I absolutely hated the car. There was a dent in the metal dashboard from my cranium striking it. The only restraints we had back then were our parents arms, which were never fast enough. My mother once had an argument with a woman driving a 1958 Ford in a parking lot. It escalated to the point where both were side by side at the traffic light, gunning their engines. It was like being in the chicken scene in Rebel Without a Cause. When the light turned green, we raced down the highway, side by side, my mother calling her a 'son of a bitch' which I found very confusing as she was clearly no one's son. I was warned not to tell my father, and I probably never did. Soon after the picture was taken below, the axle suddenly broke at a stoplight, right in front of the garage where my father always took it. We traded it in for a 1964 Plymouth.

No comments: