Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Saying good-bye to London

Time grew quickly short as I prepared to leave London last week. I had all sorts of grand plans to make one last browse through the British Museum, but suddenly, after a year and a half, my time was up, But on my final Sunday, I made one last trip to the centre. Above, Kingfisher House, my apartment building at Battersea Reach, certainly one of the nicest places I've ever lived.I always liked Liberty's Department Store. Some of it was constructed from old ship timbers.
Looking south on Regent Street. Just beyond the bend lies Picadilly Circus.
On the spur of the moment, I took the tube to Knightsbridge. Harrod's, when it's not jammed with tourists, is a marvel to behold. The Egyptian Hall is certainly like nothing in any other department store.
The Egyptian staircase.
Harrod's Food Court is sumptuous beyond words, and must be experienced. Bring lots of money, and take the time to savor it all, at least with your eyes.
There are several halls, each specializing in different fare. My favorite by far is the confectionary hall.

After selling my house in Los Angeles in 2006 (which I'll go into someday), I've been a rudderless ship. For at least two more months, that will continue as the fates now take me to Toronto.

1 comment:

Colin Stimpson said...

Hi Scott,
Great Photos!
I hope all is well.
Best wishes,
Colin.