Sunday, June 29, 2008

Kew Gardens


I used to live across the street from Kew Gardens, in 1989-1991, so returning to the old neighborhood was an interesting little adventure, mostly because I was shocked at how little I remembered. I knew how to get there, but as I walked from Richmond station up Kew Road, I saw almost nothing I recalled. I only had been to Kew Gardens about three times the whole time I lived across the street, once right after it snowed about 8" around February of 1990. I took pictures of that, but they're in a box in Los Angeles. That will be a much later post, I'm afraid. Anyway, once inside, I discovered several new structures and that the enormous rose garden had inexplicably vanished.

I was intrigued by this interesting, rather small greenhouse. The high arch enables ideal air movement.




In the movie "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" there is an argument about a monkey puzzle tree, so I've always wondered what one looked like. Kew has this large specimen.

Note the spiny, densely packed, hard, cascading leaves.

Leaving, I took a shot of my old apartment building, Lamerton Lodge. I wonder if they ever fixed the shower. Probably not. In America, a plumber would have ripped the walls out trying to fix it, but every plumber I called said "Sorry, mate, can't be fixed' and that was that. And so I endured a sputtering, gasping, explosive, stalling shower for a year and a half. The first time I attempted to run the dishwasher, it would not come on. Then I discovered it simply had never been connected. When I contacted the wealthy owner, he said "Oh, you Americans and your appliances."

Nearing Richmond on Kew Road I passed by an old, abandoned bakery. They must have left in a hurry, because these dusty old cakes were still in the window. Somewhere in the back, perhaps, is Miss Havisham's wedding cake.

1 comment:

OldOldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh I LOVE seeing these pictures of Kew! I was there only once...I read that they had a Succulent and Cactus Garden--Greenhoused, of course....It was very beautiful..And I took a picture or two of those Huge Lily Pads(?) or whatever they are....They are axtrordinary...This was in 1993, by the way.
How fun to see your old apartment...I love the rich owner saying.."Oh you Americans and your appliances"...Hello? How truly bizarre that the thing had never been plugged in! LOL!