Tuesday, March 4, 2008

London Palladium

I've been to the London Palladium several times over the years, most recently to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Sound of Music. I was truly impressed with the latter (as for the former I was only truly impressed with the car). It's a first class production every step of the way. Maria even sings on a mountaintop which floats above the stage (I have a hunch it uses similar hardware that flew Chitty a few years ago). Most assuredly this was not at Mary Martin's disposal in the original Broadway production! My favorite moment came when the entire theatre was transformed in an instant during the Trapp's concert, making for a surprisingly fun climax. The songs Something Good and I Have Confidence, written for the film, are included, while No Way to Stop it and How Can Love Survive are back in. During the curtain calls, the nuns played leapfrog taking their bows -- rarely have I seen a cast so clearly enjoying themselves. Highly recommended.
The Palladium is a grand old palace with fairly good sight lines and decent acoustics.

No comments: