Saturday, October 13, 2007

John Piper's British Gas Mural

I noticed the mural on this building near the Thames in west London shortly after I moved to my flat just across the river. A little research revealed it had been a British Gas building, now converted to flats. Clearly, the structure itself was greatly altered but someone was smart enough to retain the mural, by British painter and designer John Piper (1903-1992). Unfortunately, they didn't have the foresight to showcase their treasure with reflecting pools and gardens, which it certainly deserves. Even as your eye is drawn to the wonderful colors and shapes of Piper's designs, it is assaulted by one of the ugliest fenced parking lots I've seen in London, which I have struggled to avoid showing here.
.

The Tate Britain Museum in London has a strong collection of Piper's work, including a photograph of him making the panels.

No comments: